Carrot is an orange colored root vegetable which is also found in red and yellow color in different parts of the world. Also known as ‘Daucas carota’ it’s a horn-shaped vegetable which is eaten mostly as a raw salad. Not a regular vegetable in our daily food items but offers a lot of health benefits.
The taproot of the carrot which is orange in color is consumed by humans mostly, even though the green part is also eaten sometimes. Carrots are available throughout the year, but the best red carrots are mostly found in the winter. The edible Carrot roots have a crispy surface and a light sweet taste. They are found in different sizes ranging from 2-3 inches to more than a foot.
While buying, always look for carrots that are smooth in surface and consistent in color. Regardless of their sizes and variety, all the carrots should be uniform in size, shape and color. Avoid buying carrots which have rough surfaces and the greens are darker in color. These will let you identify those which are growing old and which are fresh.
Carrots can be eaten raw or cooked. If eaten raw, they are sliced, chopped, or grated and then added to salads. Many techniques are used to cook carrots – boiling, steaming, sauteing and roasting. In Indian cuisine, the usage of carrots is varied – as salads or as vegetables added to spicy rice (fried rice, biryani, carrot rice) or different daal (lentil) recipes and many types of curries.
Carrot is a very popular vegetable in North-India and it is used in desserts to a larger extent. Gajar Kaa Halwaa or Gajrela or Carrot Pudding is the most popular sweet dish of North-India and has become a popular dessert in many parts of India. For Carrot Pudding, the carrots are grated first and then cooked in milk and butter until the whole mixture is solid, after which nuts, pista (pistachio) and raisins are added. They are also often added to other dishes, such as in omelets, different type of soups, and curries. Carrots are also used in cakes and breads and Carrot cake is a different flavored cake which is always found in Europe & America.
Carrots, though not so popular in our daily life yet has many benefits. A glass of carrot juice everyday can cure many ailments. They are excellent for the eyes and can rejuvenate your eyesight to a great extent, while also toning your skin. The eye-doctors always prescribe eating a carrot everyday to have a good eye-sight for your entire life. A carrot once in every two days is must for the kids who are more vulnerable towards weak eyesight.
Some more facts why you should make carrot a part of your daily life:
- Carrots contain large quantities of Vitamin A, which is needed by the retina of the eye for both color vision and low light visibility.
- Carrot juice is also very beneficial for weight loss as it contains less calories.
- Carrot juice contains Vitamin E which helps in preventing cancer. It can also cure cancer.
- Carrot juice works as an anti-oxidant and prevents cell deterioration which helps in slowing down your ageing process.
- Carrot being a daily food for your body can improve your liver health and functioning abilities. It also helps against cholesterol and in bone disorders.
- Carrots are very good for your skin and it really helps you and your kids to gain more immunity, so give your kids a glass of carrot juice daily and also make sure you make it a part of your daily routine.
Like me, I feel many of these precious facts of carrot are unknown to most of you. So reap the benefits of carrot and make it a daily food for you and your family to enjoy a very healthy life.
Stay tuned to my page for more such interesting facts about different food items which are still unknown to us.
- How We Cured Cancer With Carrot Juice and Jesus!
- Benefits of Carrot Juice
- Dude Likes His Carrot Donut.
- Productive Pulp – Carrot Muffins and Carrot Juice