Pudding is one such recipe which is very close to my heart. The first time I ever tasted this amazing delicacy was a long time back when I was into my early teenage. So this time I wanted to make the Caramel Pudding which is also very popular among the Bengalis. This is a very simple recipe but you need to be patient when you try and make this mouth-watering recipe.
1. Milk – 500 ml
2. Eggs – 3
3. Sugar – 9-10 cups
4. Amul Chocolate – 7-8 cubes cut into small pieces
5. Cashewnuts – 50gms
1. Take quarter cup of sugar in a thick-bottomed pan. Add a few drops of water and heat till the sugar caramelizes. Pour the caramel into a mould which would easily fit into the pressure cooker and let it settle by cooling in the fridge.
2. Heat milk on gas flame. Add 8-9 cups of sugar and stir it very well.Increase and decrease the flame as and when required. Keep stirring continuously and you will find the milk getting thicker. Continue this process for 30-40 minutes. The more you stir, the better it will be for the pudding.
3. Now break the eggs into a bowl and add little bit of room temperature milk with it and whisk it well. Don’t let it form lumps.
4. Now add the egg and milk mixture into the hot milk slowly. Pour the egg and milk mix slowly and keep stirring so that it doesn’t form lumps after coming in contact with the hot-thickened milk. Keep stirring for 15-20 more minutes and you will find a thick batter has formed.
5. Place a metallic ring in the pressure cooker. Pour 2-3 cups of water into the cooker. Make sure you don’t fill it with enough water else during boiling water might spoil your pudding.
6. Now mix the cashew nuts and chocolate cubes to the batter and pour the egg-milk mixture into the mould with the caramel. Cover with aluminum foil and place it in the cooker. Cover with lid and steam for twenty-five to thirty minutes.
7. When you hear the first whistle, remove the lid and check. If you think it is done remove it from the cooker. If not you can cook it till another whistle.
8. Remove when done. Place it in the fridge and let it cool for at least 5-6 hours. The more time you let it cool the better your pudding be.
9. Take out the chilled caramel pudding from the fridge and pour on a plate with the caramel side up. You can garnish with fruits and cream on the top.