After having tried a number of Indian recipes, it was time for something different. Having an inclination towards Pasta, I wanted to make these Italian Dumplings which are also known as Gnocchis. A very simple recipe which can be cooked with ease, when you want to. Let’s take a look how these Italian Dumplings can be prepared.
- 800 gms of potato, unpeeled.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 50 gms of Amul Butter.
- 1 egg.
- 1 Cheese Cube.
- Fresh finely chopped Parsley.
- Pepper and Salt to taste.
- Place potatoes in a cooker. Cover with cold water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until just tender when tested with a knife. Drain well. Set aside until just cool enough to handle. While still hot, peel by hand and discard skins. Using a potato smasher puree potatoes into a bowl. Season to taste with salt. Cool slightly.
- Add flour and the egg to the potatoes, then use your hands to knead briefly until a soft dough forms. If mixture is still sticky, add a little more flour (the amount of flour added is crucial – too much flour will make the cooked gnocchi heavy and tough, while too little flour will cause the dumplings to collapse during cooking). Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. Using your hands, gently roll each piece out to form a log. Using a lightly floured knife, cut each log into pieces as per your choice.
- Create texture on the dumplings as per your choice. You can even give a texture by rolling each ball over the tines of a lightly floured fork, pressing gently with your index finger or thumb underneath as you go.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add 1/4 of the dumplings. As they cook, these dumplings will rise to the surface of the water. Continue cooking on the surface for about 10 more seconds, then remove and drain well. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
6. Time to fry the dumplings. Take a frying pan and add 3-4 tbsp of sunflower oil and once the oil turns hot, add the dumplings and stir fry. Cook it until golden brown so that it looks great. Add the butter to it and stir for some more time. Now add the finely chopped fresh parsley and stir for a few more seconds.
7. Your delicious Italian Dumplings are ready. Serve it hot with grated cheese on top.