We all have heard about different kinds of vegetable rolls, chicken rolls, mutton rolls and many more. Not only we have heard about these but we have at least tasted these once in our life. This delicious recipe is very easy to make and is really very tasty. Having originated in the City of Joy Kolkata/ Calcutta Kebab Rolls is the most famous food item found all over the street side shops and restaurants.
Today I will talk about the famous Calcuttan Kati Kebab Roll or Chicken Roll and how you can prepare this delicious food recipe at your home with ease. Spicy small chicken pieces are wrapped in fried Paratha with sliced cucumber and light fried onion and green pepper. These ingredients are accompanied with tomato sauce, chilli sauce or any other types of chutney. So, let’s check out how you can prepare a Kati Kebab Roll at your home for your guests.
- 3 tbsps sunflower cooking oil
- 1 large thinly sliced onion
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (see link below for recipe)
- 300 gms boneless, skinless chicken cut into 2″ cubes/ pieces
- 3 tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 green pepper
- Salt to taste
- 5 Parathas
- 1/2 cup sunflower cooking oil
- Tomato and Chilli sauce as per requirement
I am not talking about how to make Parathas as everybody knows how to make it.
- Marinate the chicken with oil, salt, turmeric and chilli powder at first.
- Heat the oil (3 tbsps) in a deep pan on low to medium heat.
- Add the 75 % of sliced onions and fry till soft. Don’t make it dark brown by over-frying. Add garlic paste and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add garam masala powder and fry until oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Don’t add turmeric powder as it has been used for the chicken marination.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook it until brown in color. Add the chopped tomato and salt to taste.
- Stir well and add 1/2 cup of water. Cook till chicken is tender. Make sure there is no gravy at this stage.
- Heat a frying pan on low heat and add a tablespoon of oil to it for making the Parathas.
- Fry the rest of the sliced onions and green pepper for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Now assemble the rolls: Lay one paratha on a plate and spread Tomato sauce on it. Add the fried onions and green pepper now to it. You may add chopped green chillies if you want to enjoy a spicy roll.
- Now add the small pieces of the cooked chicken in a line down the center of the paratha. How many pieces that depends on your choice. Roll tightly. Wrap it in foil at this stage, to help keep the lot together and tidy for eating – the filling can fall out otherwise.
- Your home-made Kati Kebab Roll is ready. Serve hot.
So, from now on you won’t need to visit any street shops for having this Indian delicacy. You can enjoy it at home with your family whenever you want to.
- Bengali Thaali for a special occasion,Jamai Sashti
- Sweet & Spicy Vegetable Frazie
- Chicken Cooked in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Ayam Masak Merah)