Having talked of easy cooking methods for chicken and mutton, in this post I will talk about a very simple and one of Bengal’s all-time favorite recipes – the Egg Curry.
Eggs – which are a part of daily meals for many of us – contains adequate quantities of proteins and minerals required by a human body daily. As such eggs are usually recommended for daily intake by the doctors. Both the chicken and duck eggs are very commonly taken by people all over Bengal. However even though Chicken eggs are the most frequently eaten in every households and restaurants, the duck eggs are the ones that definitely taste better than the chicken eggs! Yet it is consumed lesser, because of its higher protein content.
This post is dedicated on methods to cook a perfect Egg curry with the duck eggs.
- 6 Duck Eggs (hard boiled)
- 1/2 tomato (pureed)
- 3-4 flakes of garlic
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- Salt as per taste
- ½ tsp Red chili
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 cups water
- Hard boil the eggs for about 10-12 minutes. Once boiled let it cool for sometime, and remove the shell and keep them aside. Slice those in two halves to make 12 pieces.
- Grind the onions, garlic and make a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok. Fry the eggs for 3-4 minutes to give it a nice golden brown color. Slicing the eggs in two halves will let the juice of the spices and other ingredients blend with the eggs properly.
- Next add onion-garlic paste and fry till you see the golden brown color. Add all the spices (salt, turmeric and chili powder) for a minute and add tomato puree. Fry till it starts releasing the oil.
- Add a cup of water and add the chopped green chilies. Cook until it’s dry and a nice gravy is formed.
- Now add green peas and fried eggs. Add 1 cup of water and bring to boil on low flame. Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once you see the formation of a rich gravy, turn off the flame and empty contents in a bowl.
- Serve hot with paratha, roti or rice.
Your all simple duck egg curry is ready to eat. This is one of the Bengali’s favorite recipes and I can assure you that any husband who is a new entrant in the kitchen, can really make his wife happy with this very simple recipe.